Coconut water - what’s all the fuss about?
Coconut water is the clear liquid found inside coconuts especially young green ones because they contain more of the actual coconut water substance than the mature brown shelled nuts. Coconut water is a tasty alternative to plain water and is loaded with natural nutrients (such as potassium also found in bananas and avocados) that hold a heap of benefits. These benefits range from health, beauty and fitness.
It is affordable and available throughout the year. When internally ingested or topically applied, the coconut water does amazing things. Some of its benefits include:
1. Weight Loss
Coconut water has a very low fat content, making it one of the healthiest and safest weight loss juices. It suppresses the appetite and makes you feel full. Alternate between plain water and coconut water as your early morning juice for instance instead of always taking water, drink a glass of fresh coconut water in the morning on an empty stomach instead.
This one is for the active people out there. Due to coconut waters high potassium content, it is a natural super energizer. It hydrates, replenishes and rejuvenates the body and it also helps prevent muscle cramps. Meaning you skip the energy drinks and reach for something very healthy
- Regulates and improves blood flow, preventing plaques and atherosclerosis;
- Increase good cholesterol needed by the body;
- It also reduces the risk of heart attack, hypertension and strokes; and
- Reduce stress, anxiety and depression.
4. Digestion and hangover
Coconut water contains enzymes that improves digestion and metabolism and it is the ultimate remedy for hangovers and those mornings where you feel like you want to stay in bed.
5. Beautiful hair and skin:
- It contains elements that minimize skin aging, balances PH levels and keeps the connective tissue hydrated and strong;
- When ingested it moisturises and eventually tones skin the skin from within;
- Helps with detoxing the body; and
- The nutrients present in coconut water helps improve hair follicle growth and straightening, prevent dandruff and itchy scalp and improves the shine and texture of the hair.
Helpful tip: Massage the fresh coconut water on the scalp and the hair strands and leave for 20-25 mins before washing off with plain water. Repeat daily for desire hair growth
If you want, you can buy coconuts and get hold on of the coconut water naturally without wondering if the bottled coconut water is loaded with other ingredients that might be bad for you.
Please take note: Too much of a good thing has never been known to yield good results in fact it can be really bad for you. Untreated hyperkalaemia due to excessive intake potassium causing abnormal increase in your body’s potassium level commonly results in Kidney failure